Friday, January 25, 2008

German Politics - My observations so far

Last night I watched a Rally in Franfurt am Main on TV. It was interesting to say the least though I didnt have a clue what was being said. I am still in two minds about joing the CDU, JU and the LSU while I am in Germany as I am due home in July.

Parts of Germany are have State elections these include Hesse and Hamburg on the 27th of January. These are seen as very improtant to the CDU.

In North-Rhein Westphallia, where I am, it was a heartland of the the SPD, but the loss here of the SPD, led to the calling of the lats federal elections in 2005. I get some looks when talking about politics (as i studied it at Uni ,people ask what I studied, then my thoughts on German Politics!) as I say I support CDU and Merkel. I have yet to meet someone that agrees with me!

Jürgen Rüttgers (CDU) is the current ministerpresident of NRW. The next election here will be in 2009 (Federal and NRW), so unless I move back here I wont see an election here! Or unless I move to Bavaria to support the CSU in September!

I will eventual do a big long post on German politcis in the various states and that but dont hold your breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!
Please note that posts containing links not pertaining to the discussion may be deleted!

Thank you
Stephen