Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday Poetry Reflection, June 27th

*Shock Horror* I remembered to post it! :D

Well its Friday and I have found a poem that is really nice and I really enjoyed. It is by a poet I have not come across before, Theodore Roethke. I must say I am learning a lot about poets since I started doing this. The poem I have shosen is "My Papa's Waltz" and is as follows

The whiskey on your breath
Could make a small boy dizzy;
But I hung on like death:
Such waltzing was not easy.

We romped until the pans
Slid from the kitchen shelf;
My mother's countenance
Could not unfrown itself.

The hand that held my wrist
Was battered on one knuckle;
At every step you missed
My right ear scraped a buckle.

You beat time on my head
With a palm caked hard by dirt,
Then waltzed me off to bed
Still clinging to your shirt.


What a beautiful poem of a lovely memory of a father. When I read this poem I instantly smiled as there is so much warmth in this poem. A father who putting his son to bed is always a lovely sight, but one that waltz's first is something unique!

A lovely heart warming poem for a Friday!

Any thoughts to add?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!
Please note that posts containing links not pertaining to the discussion may be deleted!

Thank you
Stephen