Friday, June 20, 2008

Poetry Reflection, Friday 20th June

Yes, I missed last week and am late posting today.. Blame birthdays, I have attended no less then 6 in the past two weeks! So onto todays poem. Its by a poet I have heard of but never read till lately. That poet is Langston Hughes. He is referenced in "Rent" thats what made me seek him out. One of his poems has struck a chord with me. That poem is "Democracy".

Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed
Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you.


What a poem. Though written in a different era in relation to Human Rights in the US, it can still apply to other places where Human Rights are denied, where people starve cause of Government actions, where people are intimtaed to vote a certian way, where any abuse by government takes place.

I hope you like the poem too

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!
Please note that posts containing links not pertaining to the discussion may be deleted!

Thank you
Stephen