Sunday, September 28, 2008

Google 'hope that California voters will vote no on Proposition 8'

Yes, that's right, that evil company Google are taking a stance on Proposition 8 in California. For those of you who don't know Proposition 8 is the following: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California". Basically the proposition is to make In re Marriage Cases (2008) [76 Cal.Rptr.3d 683, 183 P.3d 384] (PDF), which made Gay Marriages legal in California, illegal again. Obviously if I had a vote in California I would be voting no, but as I live in Ireland I don't. It is heartening though to see a big corporation, like Google, taking a stance on it.

What I wonder is will this backlash on Google or will it further cement their position? Only time will tell.


Official Google Blog - Our position on California's No on 8 campaign

2 comments:

  1. Would it be heartening if they disgareed with your views or would it be meddling ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good point Des, but I don't think I would consider it meddling as any company is allowed to take a position it so wishes. I suppose you are right it is heartening as they are agreeing with me, so maybe I should have used a different word!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome!
Please note that posts containing links not pertaining to the discussion may be deleted!

Thank you
Stephen