Monday, October 13, 2008

Convention - 2 down 1 to go

So I didn't go to Convention last Thursday for the Carrigaline/Harbour District but I am reliable informed that all 3 candidates were nominated. I did however attend Conventions for Cork South East LEA and Cork South West LEA on Saturday night. Again all candidates were nominated.

The meeting was chaired by Senator Maurice Cummins, and he was heartened by the fact that Fine Gael is aiming to win extra seats in both wards. It was an interesting meeting with valuable speeches from the candidates , especially the two new candidates; Des Cahill in Cork South East, a local businessman, and Barry Keane, a former businessman and currently a teacher in Bishopstown. Both of them gave good speeches and I wish them the best of luck in next years elections.

Of course the convention gave an excellent opportunity to the Sitting councillors, Corr and McGonigle in South East and Birmingham and Buttimer in South West to update us on there work and the future they see for Cork.

The new councillors, McGonigle and Buttimer who were both co-opted to Council last year were able to show the work they have done and there plans for the future.

The longer sitting councillors, Corr and Birmingham, showed why they keep getting elected due to their commitment to work for their communities and the city and showed where the current government are leaving down Cork in relation to the Airport, the Docklands, light-rail and so on.

I think what struck me most about the meeting was the desire among all candidates for the City Government to have more power, and I think I would have to agree with them.

I am looking forward to getting out on the canvass and I have volunteered (stupidly??) for three campaigns, that of John Buttimer (worked with him on his brothers campaign for the Dáil last year), Barry Keane (as he is a member of my branch) and Emmet O'Halloran (he's hopefully running in my LEA!), a name knew to this blog. Emmet is seeking a nomination in Cork South Central LEA. I am not sure how many candidates we will be running in Cork South Central, but I hope its more then one! I will of course blog about Cork South Central Convention when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!
Please note that posts containing links not pertaining to the discussion may be deleted!

Thank you
Stephen