Monday, November 24, 2008

"You must be BATTY to think we wont fight the cuts"

The above was on a hand made sign at the education protest in Cork City last Saturday. It was one of the largest protests I have seen in Cork especially in comparison to the student protest on fees earlier this year and the protest I was on back in 2004 on fees.

From my work I could see the protest passing which seamed very colourful and enjoyed the support of shoppers. It took the protest a good 45 minutes to pass the Savoy Centre (where I work) which gives you an indication of how large the turnout was. Their were teachers from Kerry, Cork, Limerick, and Waterford from the signs I saw but they could also have been teachers from Tipperary and Clare and I am open to correction on that!

Fair play to the INTO, TUI and ASTI for organising the protest which is resonating well with the public and has people on their side. The Government and the Education Minister especially are making a mess of this issue and the Education budget needs to be re-thought completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!
Please note that posts containing links not pertaining to the discussion may be deleted!

Thank you
Stephen