Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Am I a Geek or a Nerd?



This is something that has been annoying me as I am told there is a difference between being a geek and nerd. But can you be both if there is a difference?

According to the Merriam Webster online dictionary a 'geek' is "an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity (computer geek)". Now I wouldn't consider my self an expert in many fields but an enthusiast definately. Mostly people refer to me as this due to this blog, my political involvement and my use of things like facebook and twitter.

Now according to the same dictionary a nerd is "an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person ; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits (computer nerds)". Okay so I aint a nerd considering I am not unstylish, have you seen my wardrobe (it has overflowed!). Unattractive? I was called a greek god by a customer and often get told quite the opposite. Socially inept? Have you ever gone out with me? I disappear as I know soooo many people!

Okay so we have decided (well I have) that I am a geek. The next person to call me a nerd gets a slap ok? (I jokes!)

I think 'nerd' has lost its meaning and has become one and the same with geek. That is the problem. I know I am a geek with the whole computer thing and the Magic: The Gathering and maybe soon Dungeons and Dragon (maybe then I will be a proper nerd! :P )

Any of ye have thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. This post freaked me out a little, given how I planned on writing exactly the same thing a year and a bit ago, only with the word 'dork' instead of 'geek'. Since I had already been posting too much introspective stuff I used the idea briefly in this post:

    http://ssully.blogspot.com/2007/08/sully-in-not-every-post-is-corker.html

    I suppose grappling with nomenclature isn't a stunningly original concept after all...

    Anyhow - nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! that is weird! :) You have a good blog yourslef! adding it to my RSS Reader

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome!
Please note that posts containing links not pertaining to the discussion may be deleted!

Thank you
Stephen