Thursday, April 03, 2008

An Apology and Explanation

I would like to take this opportunity to explain a certain post of mine that has caused some upset to some people I know. The post in question was the one about me leaving the church.

Firstly I would like to state I had an excellent upbringing as a child of catholic parents who decided to would be best to raise me catholic. It being the 1980's in Ireland, there weren't many other options. But at the same time I think my parents did a good job and raised me more secular then Catholic. They thought me right from wrong and how to live my life to the full.

I can never remember being forced to go to mass, I didnt mind it though I can never remember what the Priest said in the Homily but I still know all the prayers off by heart. I did not think that the post would offend the people dear to me and I am sorry.

It took alot of courage for me to that though, finally admit that I no longer believe in an omnipotent God. It took many trips to the bookshop staring at the God Delusion but I thought it was a good idea to challenge my beliefs. My beliefs it turned out weren't as important to me as I had thought and when I sat down and read the arguments, sometimes I had to read them twice to be sure I understood them, I realised I was arging with most of them.

My parents thought me to respect beliefs but more importantly I had a teacher in Secondary School who advised us to "Question Everything". I think this is one way I am living up to his advice.

I respect all religions, and have the utmost respect for religous people. I think it shows great dedication and commitment, but religion as it stands does not work for me. That might change later in life if evidence comes out that God (Yahweh, Allah, Shiva, He/She/It, the Flying Spagetti Monster (I'm serious thats a religion!!) etc) exist.

To me Catholicism is a way of life, the ten commandments are a good way to live your life, but so are these:

1. You will daily give thanks to your heavenly Mother and Father, and to your earthly mother and father, for the precious gift of life.

2. You will show your respect and appreciation for this gift by striving always to make life a rich experience for yourself and others.

3. You will have reverence for the plant kingdom, which provides oxygen to breathe, food to eat, and beauty to uplift your soul.

4. You will love the members of the animal kingdom as brothers and sister.

5. You will not wantonly injure or destroy any vegetation.

6. You will not injure or kill any animal, except in self defence or for food.

7. You will not injure or kill any human, except in defence of your life, or your kin.

8. You will not wage war.

9. You will regard with equal dignity men, women and children of all races and creeds.

10. You will joyfully give succour and assistance to those less fortunate than yourself


I remember dawkins adding one to a list he had, about interfering in other peoples sex lives basically.

I am HUGELY grateful for the well rounded raising I have gotten from my Parents, but I think this could be a bone of contention for the future.

----
Source:
Ten Commandments - TechRepublic Forum

Previous Post:
To The Holy Catholic And Apostolic Church, I'm Leaving You

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!
Please note that posts containing links not pertaining to the discussion may be deleted!

Thank you
Stephen