Saturday, April 12, 2008

Eurovision, Semi Final Two: Preview and Predictions

I finally get around to previewing the Second Semi, after I previewed the first one last month. Well it is 40 days to the Second Semi which will take place on Thursday, 22nd of May. Just like the first Semi there are 19 participants. I will again make my Kiss of Death Predictions at the end.

Lets start the show!

1. Iceland (RÚV) represented by Euroband singing "This Is My Life"
Youtube, Lyrics
This song will get the Semi off to a great start. A good fast paced song. The two singers complement each other really well. Its an excellent song, that should do well, do is up against a few pop/dance songs in this Semi, so could face some challenges.

2. Sweden (PVT) represented by Charlotte Perrelli singing "Hero"
Youtube, Lyrics
Charlotte is no stranger to Eurovision having won the 1999 edition for Sweden with "Take Me to Your Heaven". This is her second crack at Eurovision and it is a good song. A nice upbeat pop song, which the Swedes seam to like entering. I think it will do well.

3. Turkey (TRT) represented by Mor ve Ötesi singing "Deli"
Youtube, Lyrics
A rock song! Yay! The first in this semi. Which will set it out from the first two songs, which is important in a music contest. I really like this song, even it is in Turkish. I hope it does well (I used hope, it wont do well! :P ) Its a cool video also.

4. Ukraine (NTU) represented by Ani Lorak singing "Shady Lady"
Youtube, Lyrics
Well we are back with pop/dance songs, coming after Turkey will benifit this song. I am really liking this song. I have Ukrainian friends here, so maybe thats why! NTU picked good with Ani Lorak. It will do well.

5. Lithuania (LRT) represented by Jeronimas Milius singing "Nomads In The Night"
Youtube, Lyrics
The first ballad in this semi, which will probably help Ukraine more then allow this to stand out. I dont like this song. Its too operatic for me. I'm not liking this live version. Maybe Jeronimas will be alright on the night?

6. Albania (RTSH) represented by Olta Boka singing "Zemrën lamë peng"
Youtube, Lyrics
Another ballad, but a better one then Lithuania. I am really liking this song (No, I'm not liking Albania just because they were the only country to vote for Ireland last year!). A very strong chorus, its an impressive song.

7. Switzerland (SRG SSR idée suisse) represented by Paolo Meneguzzi sining "Era Stupendo"
Youtube, Lyrics
Another ballad, but more modern, kind of reminds me of Avril Lavigne. Not sure why! I really like this song. Its melodic, but fast. I think the swiss are on to something here, strange thats its in Italian.

8. Czech Republic (ČT) represented by Tereza Kerndlová sining "Have Some Fun"
Youtube, Lyrics
Back to the pop songs. This is a good entry from the Czechs, but pop songs are becoming dominant in this semi, so it could be hard to qualify for the final. I am liking the song anyway.

9. Belarus (BTRC) represented by Ruslan Alehno singing "Hasta la Vista"
Youtube, Lyrics
Yet another pop song! But its a good one. This semi could prove hard for the pop entries and neighbourly voting could come into it. Its a good song though.

10. Latvia (LTV) respresented by Pirates Of The Sea singing "Wolves Of The Sea"
Youtube, Lyrics
I had to check the date on my Computer, I thought I was back at Karnival! This is the first joke entry for this final, though better then the ones in the first semi final. Its a good song, fast paced and the words make sense, thanks to the costumes! Never knew Latvia had a history of pirates....

11. Croatia (HRT) represented by Kraljevi ulice & 75 cents singing "Romanca"
Youtube, Lyrics
A really nice folksy song. Something that will set it apart in this semi. I dont get the old guy, then again I dont speak serbo-croat (or whatever langauge they are speaking).

12. Bulgaria (BNT) represented by Deep Zone & Balthazar singing "DJ, Take Me Away"
Youtube, Lyrics
Since I came to Germany, I have gotten into Dance/house music as forcasted by some people in YFG! This song is one of my favourites in this semi. It is excellent. I love the start and the rest of the song! Really looking forward to hearing this out if it wins!

13. Denmark (DR) represented by Simon Mathew singing "All Night Long"
Youtube, Lyrics
Now I always love the Danish entry and this year is no exception. It is an excellent sing-a-long type song. I love it.

14. Georgia (GPB) represented by Diana Gurtskaya singing "Peace Will Come"
Youtube, Lyrics
Wow, is all I say. This is a fantastic, powerful ballad. I do mean powerful. Only one other ballad has impressed me this much and that was Poland. If the voting public are in the same mood as last year, this well do very well!

15. Hungary (MTV) represented by Csézy singing "Candlelight"
Youtube, Lyrics
Another ballad from Hungary. Its a nice melodic song and Csézy is a fantastic singer. It has a fabulous chorus and reminds me of those fantatsic Disney ballads.

16. Malta (MBA) represented by Morena singing "Vodka"
Youtube, Lyrics
This song, is one I have mentioned that grows on me. Well it certainly does. Its a fun fast song! A song about alcohol though... hmmm....

17. Cyprus (CyBC) respresented by Evdokia Kadi singing "Femme Fatale"
Youtube, Lyrics
I really like this song as it has a really med feel to it. It also has folk influences, which will always endear it to me! But then it speeds up to make it modern. Its a good song, but no Greek votes in this Semi, so gaurenteed votes for Cyprus.

18. F.Y.R. Macedonia (MKRTV) represented by Tamara ft. Vrcak & Adrian Gaxha singing "Let Me Love You"
Youtube, Lyrics
A nice song from this balkan ecountry. A nice mix modern and folk influences which have been quite to the fore in this semi, but coming after Cyprus coulkd affect that.

19. Portugal (RTP) represented by Vânia Fernandes singing "Senhora do Mar"
Youtube, Lyrics
A ballad to close this semi. Ballads, werent as frequent in this semi as the first one. But do the televoters want another Ballad? It a nice song, but seams fairly bland to me.

So thats it. All 19 entries. Dont forget that France, the UK and Serbia will also be voting in this semi.

Before I give my predictions lets take a look at allkindsofeverthing's predictions for the second semi final. By looking at past voting they came up with the following nine entries

* Ukraine
* Hungary
* Bulgaria
* Sweden
* Malta
* Latvia
* Croatia
* Belarus
* FYR Macedonia


So thats their Predictions but what are mine?

Stephen's Kiss of Death Predictions

So I think the following will get through

* Ukraine
* Sweden
* Bulgaria
* Denmark
* Malta
* Croatia
* Latvia
* Georgia
* FYR Macedonia
* Hungary

There we go. How many will I get right? Time will tell!
---
Source:
Lyrics - Lyrics and Translations
Songs and Running Order - Eurovision Website

Previous Post:
Eurovision Semi-Final One: Preview and Prediction

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!
Please note that posts containing links not pertaining to the discussion may be deleted!

Thank you
Stephen