Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lisbon Round II? No Thanks!

I am getting very annoyed with certain leaders and pro-europeans on the European continent. Granted I was disappointed with the No vote but then again, I'm not surprised. It was very hard to sell and explain! And I had read the feckin thing! I still think that the EU needs reforming. Nice is not very satisfactory for me and we need reform, but not Lisbon. Its back to the drawing bored.

Certain EU leaders (Both Government and Opposition) seam to think its all right to ask us to vote again. I say NO! We had 55% turnout which is above average, we the people have spoken. The project must find another way to move forward.

If the government bows to pressure from France, Germany, Italy and others, I will not campaign for a Yes Vote, I infact will vote NO. If the EU is to be democratic then it should respect democratic outcomes.

People who read this blog know I am very pro-EU, infact nearly a Euro-federalist, but at the same time I respect the vote of the people. We in Ireland were in a unique position to vote on this treaty and we were not voting on it for 500 million other people, we were voting to change a document that says how Ireland is governed, Bunreacht na hEireann which only affects 4 million or so people. I am still annoyed with this arguement.

I have a big issue which the claims of some members of the No side. Sinn Fein did not win this for them In fact most people I talked to were ignoring SF. The people that won it were Libertas on the right and Coir (not sure where they are) and the sociailists and anarchists (People's movement) on the left who ran a very good campaign and were out in Cork City every weekend trying to convince people while the Yes crowd were no were to be seen.

Anyway I think I've made my point and my dinner is burning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!
Please note that posts containing links not pertaining to the discussion may be deleted!

Thank you
Stephen